Most of us have distractions that keep us from God. However, most of us also have new distractions that weren’t around a decade ago (yeah, like those annoying blog posts).
Let’s start by saying that technology is not bad. Just because a smartphone can distract you from praying or Bible study does not mean it is evil. Would you think your mother is evil if she called you while you were praying? (Don’t answer that.)
How many of you ever attempted to have devotions and pray, only to get interrupted by a notification on your phone? Or I should ask how often, since I’m fairly sure it already does happen to most of us. Most of the time it’s probably not even a text or message, but something completely unimportant, like a notification from an app begging for your attention. Then, after checking it out, you open another app, and other, and oh, no time for devotions anymore.
I often wonder what God thinks when we are mid-sentence in prayer, and your Home Depot app tells you about a sale on patio equipment. I believe we all realize that prayer is serious. We are talking to the Most High God. But I believe we are also smart enough to know when we are not fellowshipping with God. Sometimes it takes a little time to realize, but usually, I can tell if my attention is on the things of my life rather than of God.
Practically, what can we do?
- If you are reading this blog, you probably are not the type of person to say “just get rid of the dumb thing” (or smart thing, whatever) However, that is an option of course.
- The best thing you can do is to set aside some time routinely for prayer and Bible study and place the phone in another room until you finish.
- Give your phone to a sibling or a friend to hold for a few minutes. That will definitely strengthen your prayer life! (haha)
- Pray in the shower! I do it all the time, and it seriously has become a habit that I do without even trying. It’s an excellent time to cry out to God, praising him for his goodness.
- Pray while driving. I find this to be the best time to pray for people. Just last week I was talking with a friend, and when I left to go home, I promised him I would pray for him all the way home. Try that sometime; it took me 16 minutes to get home, and I covered him, his wife, and two girls in every prayer and blessing I could think of, nonstop. It was a neat challenge that I hope to do again.
- If you need to have the phone with you (well yes of course we do), I suggest the “Do Not Disturb” mode (on Android of course). It works perfectly for times like this. Just slide down from the top, tap the icon, and you automatically become focussed on God. Right? Something like that. Now place it across the room from you.
If you are very disciplined and strong-willed, you might be able to pray through a loud jingle bell and constantly blinking blue light. But let’s not kid ourselves. Do something about it. Fellowship with God is totally worth it!
Do you have any tips or testimonies? Don’t be shy in the comments.
I’d write more, but my phone keeps beeping.
Did that encourage you?
These posts only come every month or so. Sign up and I'll tell you when I post something!